Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Don't Forget About the Pants

The importance of having pants tailored to the proper length is often overlooked by men. Don't settle for this:


'What's the big deal?' you might ask.

It's sloppy. It's careless. It's lazy.

I think it's safe to say that when a man dresses in a suit, he wants to look good, feel good, and, perhaps most importantly, make a good impression. If that is your goal, do yourself a favor, pay the $10 and go get those new slacks adjusted. It just looks better.


There is often debate regarding how big or small the break in the pant should be. I think it's a matter of personal preference. For a smaller man like me, I prefer a smaller break (below) for the same reason I prefer a slimmer cut suit - I don't appear to be quite as small. For a taller man, a bigger break might be appropriate.


Be very specific with your tailor and double check their work. I often have to tell them to 'bring it up a little more'. Make sure your pants are sitting on your waist where you like them when you are being measured. And if you don't feel good about the job they do, don't be afraid to tell them to fix it.

(Photos by GQ & Suits4Men)

No comments:

Post a Comment